That’s right, I don’t drive
Yes, it’s true. I do not drive. I have never driven. I don’t know how (though I’m sure I could probably figure it out).
And people are always asking me, “Why don’t you drive?”
Answer: “I don’t know.”
I really don’t. I’ve just never had the urge to drive a car. And I certainly have never had the urge to pay for one, or for gas, or for insurance and so on.
Yes, there are a number of disadvantages to not driving. But, on the other hand, there are also advantages – not the least of which is the money.
So how do I get around? Well, it’s not quite the tragedy you might imagine. I walk. I take the bus. I take cabs. It’s really not that difficult. With my iPod on, it’s actually quite pleasant.
My preference is for walking.
Life outside of a car is also quite entertaining. It gives you the opportunity to people watch, which tends to be better than most TV.
Anyway ... to repeat, I don't drive and I never have. And I rather like it that way.
And people are always asking me, “Why don’t you drive?”
Answer: “I don’t know.”
I really don’t. I’ve just never had the urge to drive a car. And I certainly have never had the urge to pay for one, or for gas, or for insurance and so on.
Yes, there are a number of disadvantages to not driving. But, on the other hand, there are also advantages – not the least of which is the money.
So how do I get around? Well, it’s not quite the tragedy you might imagine. I walk. I take the bus. I take cabs. It’s really not that difficult. With my iPod on, it’s actually quite pleasant.
My preference is for walking.
Life outside of a car is also quite entertaining. It gives you the opportunity to people watch, which tends to be better than most TV.
Anyway ... to repeat, I don't drive and I never have. And I rather like it that way.




11 Comments:
Bill, I don't drive, either. The only real disadvantage is when I need to leave this city and go somewhere that doesn't have a public transit system (like my hometown). Otherwise, I kinda like it.
By
jeopardygirl, at 8:13 PM
Yes, leaving town can be a problem. But other than that, I quite like it. I think we should start a movement. Take over the damn world. :-)
By
Bill, at 3:16 AM
Not sure I could do it myself Bill, but I truly commend you. I get a strange high each time I board public transit, no matter which city I'm in. You are doing wonders for the environment that's for sure.
By
egan, at 3:53 AM
I'd like to say I was doing it for the environment but the truth is, that's got nothing to do with it. But it is a nice consequence.
As for public transit ... I get a kick out of it. I find people endlessly entertaining. And you run into some very
interesting people on public transit (including myself, I suppose).
By
Bill, at 3:55 AM
Sorry Bill, but that is fucking weird. I had eye surgery a few years back and couldn't drive for 7 weeks and I thought that I was going to lose my freaking mind.
By
flounder, at 10:01 AM
But, flounder, if you've never gotten your license or driven, it doesn't really make you crazy, because the driving "thing" isn't in your head. It's actually much more relaxing.
By
jeopardygirl, at 12:39 PM
i need to walk more.
By
Sizzle, at 8:14 PM
I so agree with all of you. Bill, just humor me and admit you're doing it for the environment. I will love you even more.
By
egan, at 9:05 PM
You are so cool.
By
Spinning Girl, at 10:06 PM
Hey Bill:
I drive. And I drive your sorry ass around too. Thanks for thanking me.
You know those classic movies I have of yours...why don't you walk over and get them?
(lol)
By
Anonymous, at 3:35 PM
Don't think I don't know who you are! And don't think I've forgotten you've got my DVDs!
By
Bill, at 3:41 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home