Crazy Ass Planet

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Today's installment of 'The Move'

I'm slightly less stressed than I was for yesterday's post - but I'm still experiencing high anxiety levels and therefore will likely disavow postings from this week. Speaking of posting ...

I sent an email to my friend Ron and thought it read a bit like a post so I'm going to post some of it here. It may seem a bit disjointed, but hey - this is a blog. Waddaya want? Literary art?

Yes, it's all happening fast and it's both exciting and wildly stressful. Of course, idiot that I am, I'm working this week rather than taking it off - big mistake. For example, tomorrow I'll be here working while movers take things out around me. Fortunately Saturday is coming up quickly so I think I can sidestep the ulcer.

Friday I've got the junk people coming in to take away all my useless crap and I have to make my way into the office to turn in my corporate knicknacks ... laptop, ID, etc. Not to mention some cleaning up and other running around. So I'm not sure when or if I'll be free.

One reason I'm doing all this so quickly was to just do it - use the momentum and stress to get it done. If I'd taken a more reasonable, thoughtful approach I think it would have dragged on till next spring. So I just threw myself into the chaos of doing it fast and to hell with what went sideways (and a good deal has/will).

It's also a good thing I took this approach. If I had thought of this clearly I would have had a coronary. The last time I moved across the country was about twenty years ago and all I had was a suitcase. And my last move was only a few blocks. This time, it's across the entire damn country with the accumulated crap of someone who has furniture, computers, books, bikes, blah blah blah. It ain't the same!

And buying and selling real estate ... oy! Good thing I hadn't known what I was getting into with all this moving business.

One nice thing about all this technology, and part of the reason I can make this move, is it allows you to be anywhere and still be in touch.

I'm actually looking forward to setting up as a kind of business and maybe taking some time to redo my various web sites. I'm also hoping I can get into something less tech oriented - maybe even something that doesn't involve computers! Now that would be a change. But I'll see what happens when I get down there.

Anyway ... back to packing. Good grief ...

3 Comments:

  • Without regard to the whys of what you are doing (yes, i read the last post) one clearly good thing that will come of it is that you will have less crap in your life to deal with. I did something similar once, and although it was not by my choice, i loved having less stuff.
    God luck surviving the week.

    By Blogger meno, at 4:45 PM  

  • happy packing!

    By Blogger Sizzle, at 12:33 PM  

  • The packing's more or less done. The movers (hopefully) are on their way (they should have been here five minutes ago).

    Soon, it will be done ...

    By Blogger Bill, at 12:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home