Crazy Ass Planet

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

The post I probably should not post

So, why am I making this rather large change in my life? I find it interesting that no one has really asked me this. I suppose some people have and I’ve given what I think would probably be a pretty obviously frivolous response … but no one has actually pressed me on it. No one has said, “Yeah, but why are you really doing it?”

So let’s review …

  • I’ve spent the last year or so experiencing what I would consider rather serious depression
  • I took the time to see a therapist (that was kind of so-so)
  • I killed my cat
  • I quit my job
  • I sold my home
  • I’m moving to a part of the world where I don’t know a damn soul
I dunno. To me that sounds like a bit more than merry-making quirkiness. Sounds to me like something’s seriously fucked up with that guy. But generally speaking people seem to accept my lameass answers about wanting a change, a slower pace, blah blah blah.

Let’s be honest. I’m doing this because I hate my life.

Of course, having said that I should also say I’ve had a beverage or two and I’m in one of those “feel sorry for myself” zones, so my comments may be tainted.

Still, some truth laces through all this. As well as some jim dandy writing. (Okay, so maybe not jim dandy, but at least somewhat engaging.)

Even as I write this my mood improves. So perhaps I’m not so grimly poised as I sound. I’m a bit amused by my own, as Mr. Dylan might phrase it, “sad complaint.” (That’s an inside joke for Dan.)

But it would be nice if the people I knew were aware that this is no small thing I’m doing, and that it’s not being done on a lark.

I may seem amused or indifferent or simply acting on the spur of the moment, but I am not. This is serious business to me. Depth of feeling should not be measured by how much water falls from the eyes.

Maybe one day, when I find my balls, I’ll actually say what this is all about. (However don’t, as the expression goes, hold your breathe. That’s not my strong suit.)

Postscript:

I'll probably be horrified in the morning to find I've actually posted this. But for now, I'm rather pleased I've posted something that's worth a damn and actually says something, even though it is a bit vague.

5 Comments:

  • vague yes but still more forthcoming than usual. good for you! be bold and take hold of your life. there is a lot of living to do!

    By Blogger Sizzle, at 11:45 AM  

  • In a few days the stress levels will lower. In the meantime, I find I don't care for this moving business. Too much to do! Not a good idea to be doing this while trying to work at the same time. I should have taken this week off.

    Oh well ... live and learn as they say.

    By Blogger Bill, at 7:51 PM  

  • Hi,

    Thanks for this post. I didn't ask because I figured you would tell if you wanted.

    I made a similar change 3 years ago when I left my job and previous life, literally left it behind, and plunked myself down in a new life. I left my job, my headache of being union rep (and grievance rep) for the whole school district; a painful codependent love affair...

    And of course, in that move I also left my alcohol habit behind; I think if I hadn't done that, I would have been in the same miserable place, in a new place. It was the best (& hardest) thing I have ever done. I was a daily drunk, and every day I woke up hardly believing that this was the path I found myself upon.

    On the morning of August 6th, 2003, I woke up and knew that this was the day, had to be the day, when I stopped it.

    I love my life.

    I wonder why you hate your life. Hmmm.

    Here's the thing ... we only have this one life, you know? So, why not make it the best one that you possibly can? What is holding you back from that?

    Sometimes you have to let something go to save your life.

    What should you let go?

    ...

    Love, from me to you, across the miles.

    By Blogger Spinning Girl, at 12:12 AM  

  • Many thanks for the comment; much appreciated. Perhaps "hate" is a bit strong - though maybe not. Mainly, until now, my life has felt stalled and boring.

    That sort of summarizes it. But this is probably something that requires it's own post.

    By Blogger Bill, at 10:12 AM  

  • I think the voice that whispers to us in the heart of night is the voice that tells us the truth. We should listen to that voice.

    No takesees-backsees when daylight comes.

    By Blogger Spinning Girl, at 9:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home