Crazy Ass Planet

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

I'd like to be on a Great Lakes beach


Yes, that's where I'd like to be. In the summer - not now. No, now it would not look anything like this picture.This picture is late July, hazy summer day, getting on in the late afternoon.

But that's where I'd like to be.

Only two of this week's five standard work days have come and gone and already it feels as if the week has surpassed it's work/stress quota.

I don't know where weeks like this come from but I wish they'd go back. I don't care for them.

Meanwhile, last week's snow is currently meeting this week's warm Pacific air. Result? Sloshy corruption tramped everywhere. Mud and crud as far as the eye can see. My hardwood floors look like they belong in a barn.

Saw "Junebug" tonight. Amy Adams was great. Movie was quite good too though it had a 70's "slice of life" quality to it. That means it had a realistic tone, which was fine (some great scenes) but the ending was left wanting some kind of Hollywood guy to give it some oomph. The movie doesn't really end, it just kind of peters out.

It's a movie, guys. Why not compromise your art and give it more of a showbiz send off? Intellectually, it's a fine ending. Emotionally? It's kind of like hearing, "But we can still be friends, can't we?"

And that concludes this rambling post.

(By the way, the image? Southampton, Ontario. So that great lake would be Lake Huron.)

3 Comments:

  • I was pretty bummed that Amy Adams didn't win an Oscar, she really was great in Junebug.

    Thanks for the birthday wishes! Cheers to dreams of sitting on the beach of one of the great lakes! I am totally with you on that one.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:33 AM  

  • Bill, my parents vacation in Sauble Beach every summer. I'm going up there sometime for a little R n R, myself. It's really nice.

    By Blogger jeopardygirl, at 7:27 AM  

  • alissa - yes, I loved Amy Adams in Junebug. I would have given her the Oscar.

    mac - As I remember, about half the people up there are from the U.S., at least in the summer - Michigan, Pennsylvania, Ohio etc.

    jg - Been to Sauble Beach. Southampton's a little south of it, followed by Port Elgin. All three places are great.

    By Blogger Bill, at 11:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home