I miss ties
I watched the movie In the Mood for Love tonight (aka Fa yeung nin wa), written and directed by Kar Wai Wong. It’s a wonderful movie but I have to be honest, the first thing that struck me about the movie was actor Tony Leung’s tie. (Yes, he wore several but one in particular caught my attention.)You can sort of get a sense for it in this picture – this is the tie. But the image, the lighting, the blue shirt … it doesn’t quite come across. But early in the film you get a quick glance of it and from that moment I was hooked. I wanted that tie.
But more than that, I wanted a reason to wear ties again. I’ve got a drawer full of them and I probably haven’t worn one for ten years. (Drawers are not the best places to keep ties, by the way, but when you aren’t wearing them I suppose it doesn’t matter.)
It seems that now you can go to work – go anywhere – in your pajamas and it’s just a kind of fashion statement – “business casual” as they were calling it a few years ago.
I really only have two kinds of fashion that I like. One of these is really, really casual – denim and collarless shirts. The other is sport jacket (or suit) and tie. Way back in high school (a Catholic all boys high school) I had to wear a sport jacket and tie every day. I grew to really like sports jackets and ties.
There’s just no reason to wear them anymore!
The one look I can’t stand – in fact, I absolutely hate – is golf course polo shirt and khaki coloured pants. I don’t know why, but that look just sends me screaming.
But my point here is that I miss wearing ties. I miss having them done up tight in a four-in-hand knot, or half-Windsor, and I miss having them loosened at the collar with that top button undone, like Humphrey Bogart at the end of the day twisting the top off a bottle of good whiskey.Can’t we start wearing ties again? I’m certain that if we did I’d start paying more attention to my appearance, as opposed to these days when I seem to be mostly, “Ah, who gives a shit anyway?”
(Let me also add, not that anyone would care, that what I really like are retro ties. One of the things I liked about In the Mood for Love is that it is set largely in Hong Kong, 1962 so the ties had a definite period feel to them.)
Tags: Neckties, Ties, In the Mood for Love




8 Comments:
Yes we can start wearing ties again. And I do. I don't have to at work but I do anyway. And, like you, I'm either coat and tie or jeans and t-shirt. The middle ground between the two is too confusing and unappealing. Here's another blog you might find interesting:
http://burlveneer.blogspot.com/
By
Anonymous, at 9:10 AM
I'm all for men wearing ties. I think they are incredibly sexy. I won't bore you with my fantasy that includes a man wearing a tie. Let's just say that I think it's a good idea.
By
Lushy, at 9:24 AM
I wake up every morning and thank God that I don't have to wear a tie to work. Eight-years of Catholic school sent me in the opposite direction of you.
By
flounder, at 12:30 PM
ties are so sexy.
i am in support of this movement!
By
Sizzle, at 1:13 PM
Anonymous - that's a great blog!
Lushy - Ties and fantasies? Hmm ... Not a men's fashion meets bondage thing, I hope?
Flounder - my problem is I look like a slob all the time these days. Maybe just need to make myself go to more expensive restaurants.
Sizzle - Who knows? Maybe it will sweep the world. I prefer a tie to "bling" any day. (A lot less expensive too - well, most of the time. If ties actually did become popular again someone would find a way to make $50,000 ties "for the stars!"
By
Bill, at 1:48 PM
oh, how a loose tie with an open collar excites me!
By
Margaret, at 2:42 PM
No. No bondage. At least in the first four versions of the fantasy. The fifth version, however, is completely different. Heh.
By
Lushy, at 4:49 PM
I used to work for a Men's Clothier, and I love the look of a man in a suit/sportcoat and tie. Don't know why, just that it seems classier. But I suppose ties are to men as pantyhose are to women, so it's no surprise many guys hate them.
And you're right that there should be three sizes for ties.
By
jeopardygirl, at 8:38 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home