Wake me in the morning – good luck!
What can you do? You can’t win because you’re not supposed to. The game is fixed; the odds favour the house. My new alarm clock has failed me.The one I had before had a radio that didn’t work so I was forced to use the annoying beep function. It was like waking each day with a dentist’s drill going into my skull incrementally. Unpleasant to say the least.
This new clock allows me to wake to CDs – or so it says. Well, several days have dawned without the CD player waking up. So no alarm sounds. I’ve wakened to the panic of lateness.
It did work one morning though. And I discovered my plans for a kinder, gentler waking experience didn’t play out so well.
I put in the soundtrack to the movie The Terminal. It always struck me the opening track, Tale of Victor Navorski, had a morning quality to it. (Don’t ask why.) The entire soundtrack has a nice, oddball feel to it.
Anyway … it went off. A kinder, gentler waking. It was so pleasant I immediately went back to sleep.
The point of this whole indulgent aside posing as a post is that the entire week was screwed up by me waking up way too late and running around like a lunatic because of it.
There’s got to be a better way of getting up in the morning. Something that doesn’t involve trauma.
(By the way ... have you noticed that when you write quickly you tend to use lots of cliches like "kinder, gentler"? Well, I do. And I've noticed.)




4 Comments:
A better way of getting up in the morning would be to get up on time without the assistance of a noise machine. Just wake up quietly on time feeling fully refreshed. Be determined about this when you go to bed, and then relax into sleep without fear.
By
Alcuin Bramerton, at 3:48 PM
why haven't you trained gonzo to wake you? my cats are perfect alarm clocks.
though, they have no idea how to decipher between work week and weekend.
:) sizz
By
Sizzle, at 1:04 PM
Funny you should mention that. She woke me this morning. It appears I neglected to fill her bowl with water. Oops!
By
Bill, at 1:33 PM
I used to have a CD alarm, but got so attuned to the small whine of the CD beginning to spin that I woke up to that instead of the music.
Now I set my cellphone to my favorite Vivaldi--Four Seasons ringtones and wake up to that. It is lovely. No trauma. Low volume, nice sounds ... and no oversleeping.
By
Spinning Girl, at 9:45 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home