Crazy Ass Planet

Saturday, October 01, 2005

Singers, please ennunciate

It is one of those days. Not as cool as I thought it would be. But it’s wet. The rain drowns all my great intentions, whatever they were. Most were related to actually doing something constructive.

GonzoThe cat is curled and sleeping after having stuck out her tongue at me in a disdainful gesture of indifference to the petty problems of people (excuse the alliteration). In Gonzo’s world there is no rain, no sun, no heat, no cold … there are only places, sleeping places, and life’s only question is which one is best suited for the sleep of the moment.

I’m listening to David Gray, Life in Slow Motion. It’s very good but, as with many singers, I wish he would make a better effort at enunciating. Lyrics just get all confusing when you can’t quite make out what is being sung.

“While I was watching you did a slow danzo …”

Danzo? I’m pretty sure he means “… dance, oh …” but somehow he slides those two together and works a “zzz” sound into it and so it comes out danzo, which puts me in mind of Tony Danza and I really don’t want to think about him while listening to David Gray’s melancholy. It’s like ketchup and sushi – they don’t belong together.

Years ago I was bugged by Bruce Spingsteen’s Born in the U.S.A.

“Got in a little homemade jam …”

It just made no sense. You give a guy a rifle just because he got into grandma’s jam?

Perhaps it’s time recording studios refused entry to singers who can’t produce certificates from elocution schools.

(By the way ... can you believe that Tony Danza was already a Technorati tag? What a world.)

Tag: , , , ,

6 Comments:

  • I love David Gray and yes, he needs some help with enunciating.

    I can't for the life of me take Tony Danza or, for that matter, Sly Stallone, seriously. I just can't.

    :) Sizz

    By Blogger Sizzle, at 1:52 PM  

  • I love David Gray's music too. But he does have a thing for slurring the words. :-)

    Sly Stallone ... oh my. I can't handle that guy either.

    By Blogger Bill, at 2:27 PM  

  • I finally looked at the actual lyrics of the David Gray song. He wasn't singing "dance, oh." He was singing "dissolve." But it still sounds like "danzo" to me.

    By Blogger Bill, at 3:47 PM  

  • Good Grief!!! It's music. It's not written to be read like a book. Argh! David Gray is THE best lyric writer EVER and that is SUCH a fact. If you listen to his music from a perspective of pure understanding of words then you don't even deserve to have is record. Give it to someone who appreciates his ability to create a wonderfully melodic flow of words. His ability to combine words to make basically a note is absolutely flawless and something I have seen very few artist actually be able to do and none as well as him. It's amazing...he is an absolute genius. please, try to look at it that way rather than purely for text. You are totally missing out on the point.

    By Blogger Teeter-Tottering, at 11:44 PM  

  • Lyrics are just as important as the music in a song. If David Gray were as sloppy with the way he played music, he'd never be allowed near a stage. Perhaps you're content with nice music that means nothing but I am not. If the lyric is, "I love you," that, to me, is considerably different than, "I love shoes." I've no argument with David Gray's ability to make music, I just question his ability to make sense.

    By Blogger Bill, at 12:29 AM  

  • After reading that paragraph I question your ability to make sense. I'm not quite sure what you MEANT to say but I did pick up on something to do about his music not making sense. You have GOT to be kidding me!!! You questions his ability to make sense???!!! Have you LISTENED to his lyrics??? There is a reason he is the number one artist of all times in Ireland and widely knows as the best lyricist ever. Perhaps you can't make sense of his music is because of lack of intelligence on your part. The greatest of all times don't always enunciate every word. Ex. Bob Dylan, Neil Young, GREATFUL DEAD...on and on. Now I do have to say that it's pretty easy to understand the words to say...Backstreet Boys, Mariah Carey, Cheetah Girls, Jessica Simpson. So....maybe that's more up your alley...

    By Blogger Teeter-Tottering, at 1:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home