Crazy Ass Planet

Saturday, September 03, 2005

News as a Super Bowl presentation

As the horror in the American south unfolded I, like many others, watched the news to see what was happening and when, or if, the poor buggers down there would get some help.

I hope this doesn’t come across as trivializing anything, because that’s not my intent – just the opposite, actually.

While watching CNN, a show called The Situation Room came on. Honestly, I thought I was watching the opening to the Super Bowl. Aggressive music, quick camera cuts, a stream of one liner headlines that congealed into an assault of meaningless sound, a kind of soundtrack to images edited music video style, a disco collage of desperation and destruction.

"Cool. Let's watch six stories simultaneously."

What the hell kind of news is that? What kind of moron thinks they’re getting information from a "news" program designed for people jacked on crystal meth?

There may be actual information of value in the show, but good luck finding it through the noise and images that flash by in nanoseconds.

I ended up watching MSNBC. As least it was comprehensible.

Tag: , , ,

1 Comments:

  • LOVE the crystal meth analogy! Isn't it scary when they try to appeal to the lowest common denominator and end up losing the people who actually watch the news? Gee, how can we get the MTV generation to watch the news? I know, we'll clutter it with flash images that cause hemorages in the brain.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home