Crazy Ass Planet

Sunday, April 30, 2006

A musical experiment

I’m not sure what I think of this Pandora thing I’ve tossed into the sidebar but I’ve put it there for the moment as an experiment. I suppose it would have been almost as easy to simply code in links … but then I’d have to hunt down places to link to.

It’s really just there as a short list of what I’m listening to these days. I tend to go in phases. My current phase causes some friends of mine a degree of alarm because it’s kind of jazz, folk, country, blues with a smidgeon of alternative. I haven’t heard anything rock, hip-hop, pop … or basically mainstream that hasn’t sounded like a billion other things I’ve heard over and over.

The most recent additions to my music?

- Marc Knopfler & Emmylou Harris – All the Roadrunning
- Bruce Spingsteen – We Shall Overcome: the Seeger Sessions
- The Little Willies – The Little Willies
- Elvis Costello – My Flame Burns Blue
- Lucinda Williams – Car Wheels on a Gravel Road

I’ve also got a fistful of Duke Ellington discs that I’ve picked up over the last year – plus Oscar Peterson, Louis Armstrong and so on.

Anyway … I really never know what I’m going to like. But for the moment this is what’s catching my ear.

Oh ... my favourite song on All the Roadrunning is the song Love and Happiness, with the wonderful lines:

And if I could only have one wish,
darling then it would be this:
love and happiness for you.

7 Comments:

  • Bill, how do you discover all of this new music. I find myself listening to the same things over and over again . . .

    By Blogger kris, at 6:50 PM  

  • oooh! i love your taste in tunes. i am off to track them down. :)

    By Blogger Sizzle, at 7:29 PM  

  • I'm not sure how I find it ... I think I just troll around and latch on to things I like. It's not all that obscure - just not American Idol material.

    btw ... I've spent the entite day listening to the Knopfler & Harris disc and the Springsteen. I love 'em.

    By Blogger Bill, at 1:53 AM  

  • Better than the water still caught up in your ear.

    By Blogger Mackenzie, at 1:40 PM  

  • loving the little willies. :)

    By Blogger Sizzle, at 6:16 PM  

  • i didn't realize till I got the disk that norah jones was a little willie.

    oh ... and i read somewhere that while the name has a bit of an innuendo to it they actually called themselve the little willies after willie nelson.

    By Blogger Bill, at 6:20 PM  

  • I love Mark Knopfler, but I don't know if I'll like that CD.

    And The Boss doing gospel? Puh-lease.

    By Blogger flounder, at 2:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home