Crazy Ass Planet

Saturday, December 03, 2005

Self-amusing: my happy tunes list

When we want to sing, we sing.
When we want to dance, we dance.
You can do your betting, we're getting
Some fun out of life.


During the week, at work, we got into a lengthy e-mail exchange as we attempted to create a playlist(s). We got onto one theme, love songs that were the opposite of love, and that got pretty grim. So I suggested an alternative list. From that, I decided to make my “Happy Thirteen” (we figured on 13 as a good number of songs).

Anyway … I liked my “Happy Thirteen” idea and this morning decided to create it for my iPod. As it turned out my “Happy Thirteen” is actually 21 songs, and there are some missing and new ones I keep coming up with.

They aren’t necessarily songs that are, “Gosh, aren’t I happy today” but rather songs that just make me feel good – as opposed to most songs which, good as they are, make me want to jump off a bridge. I’m not big on false optimism or phoney-baloney cheer, but I do believe in feeling good as opposed to bad, so for what it’s worth, this is what I’ve got in my iPod now.

Are these songs available on iTunes? Buggered if I know. The list:

- That's What I Think - Cyndi Lauper (Hat Full of Stars)
- I Can See Clearly Now - Jimmy Cliff
- One Big Love - Emmylou Harris (Red Dirt Girl)
- Wild Wild Life - Talking Heads (Best of)
- Sunset - Kate Bush (Aerial)
- Mis Dos Pequenas - Orlando Cachaito Lopez (Cachaito)
- Three J's Blues - Duke Ellington & His Award Winners (Blues in Orbit)
- High Society Calypso - Louis Armstrong (Cocktails with Cole Porter)
- Jump in the Line - Harry Belafonte (Greatest Hits)
- Rosalita (Come Out Tonight) - Bruce Springsteen (Essential)
- Careless Love - Dr. John (Best of the Parlophone Years)
- (Getting Some) Fun Out Of Life - Madeleine Peyroux (Dreamland)
- Running from Mercy - Rickie Lee Jones (Traffic from Paradise)
- May This Be Love - Emmylou Harris (Wrecking Ball)
- Sleep - Conjure One (Conjure One)
- Bang a Gong (Get It On) - T. Rex (Electric Warrior)
- Product Of Misery - Cyndi Lauper (Hat Full of Stars)
- Blonde On Blonde - Nada Surf (Soundtrack - Love Song for Bobby Long)
- Raised On Robbery - Joni Mitchell (Court and Spark)
- Always - Leonard Cohen (The Future)
- This Is Heaven To Me - Madeleine Peyroux (Careless Love)

Missing from list (for now):
- Shiny Happy People - R.E.M. (Out of Time)
- Comfort You - Van Morrison (Veedon Fleece)

Note:
The disc Cachaito, Orlando Cachaito Lopez, is kinda latin jazz and is a big favourite of mine. It's one of those discs that didn't do much for me at first but grew on me till one day, as I listened, I thought, "Damn! This is good!"

Tag: ,

3 Comments:

  • Yet another note ... From Cyndi Lauper's "Product of Misery" (and I love this) ...

    She's just a product of misery;
    I'm don't want to live like that.


    And as for "Bang a Gong (Get It On)" ... this is the closest any song has come to sounding like the way an erection feels. I can't imagine listening to this and not being aroused. Warning: play with caution.

    By Blogger Bill, at 4:03 PM  

  • Damn. Can't edit to fix typos.

    She's just a product of misery;
    I don't want to live like that.

    By Blogger Bill, at 4:04 PM  

  • that's an awesome list! i have a few on the list but some i will need to track down (ooh, bad pun, huh?). thanks for the inspiration...

    By Blogger Sizzle, at 2:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home